#1 2020-05-29 21:15:05

litebulb

Question regarding rnode and tncattach

Greetings!

I'm very interested in the project and will be ordering some hardware soon!

I'm working on a project where the goal is a ~150km point to point tcp/ip link using rnodes and tncattach.  Obviously to achieve this will require many hops which isn't an issue for us.  I have a question regarding how tcp/ip forwarding behaves when using rnode with tncattach.  Does each node in the relay chain need to have a host computer running linux and tncattach?  Or is the rnode able to forward these packets when operating standalone?

Thanks for creating such a great project!

#2 2020-06-03 10:25:18

markqvist
Administrator

Re: Question regarding rnode and tncattach

Very interesting project!

Currently yes, you will need a Linux system at each hop to do the IP routing (or maybe even just ethernet switching, depending on what you are trying to do). The host systems don't need to be anything special though, even a Raspberry Pi Zero will do just fine.

There is room in the firmware to add forwarding capabilities to the RNode devices themselves, but I have not yet implemented it.

If you want some advice on the general network design, let me know. I have some years of working experience as network engineer smile

Thanks a lot for the words of encouragement!

#3 2020-06-03 18:05:21

litebulb

That's exactly what I suspected.  Thanks for the quick answer!

The project is very power sensitive since the relays need to operate on small solar panels and batteries.  The firmware level forwarding capabilities you mentioned would help us tremendously with the power budget as even a Raspberry Pi 0 has a much higher idle consumption compared to most Arduino compatible boards.  Do you think this feature will be added in 2020?

Regarding the RNode firmware, do you think it's feasible to port to another Arduino compatible board for example a Blue Pill (stm32f103) or Feather M0 (atsamd21)?

#4 2020-06-09 09:19:08

markqvist
Administrator

I'd say there is a very good chance of it happening in 2020. The current RNode firmare is written inside the Arduino IDE environment. I choose to do this to make it very easy for anyone to modify the firmware for their own needs, but unfortunately it also puts a number of limitations in place in terms of flexibility and expandability.

While the current firmware version will always stay accessible and usable, I am going to move away from the Arduino IDE for RNode for the next iteration of the firmware. This will give me the flexibility to implement features like packet forwarding, and set up a much more flexible build system that will allow the RNode firmware to be compiled for many different microprocessors and system, including STM and ARM chips.

I'm currently working on the last features of the Reticulum protocol for an API-stable alpha release, and will then update the documentation for that project. After that, I will return to work primarily on the next generation of the RNode firmware, which will bring a lot of interesting possibilities.

#5 2020-06-10 01:48:08

litebulb

That's fantastic news!  I'm very excited for the next firmware release as that will be a game changer for our project.

You might be interested in the wasm3 project it runs on stm32, esp32 and even android.  Language compatibility with wasm is great you can develop in python, go, rust and many others.  The security implications of wasm interpreters is an interesting topic too.  Having a single bytecode file that runs everywhere could be a real time saver as well.

Thanks again for all of your great work!

#6 2020-06-11 10:19:33

markqvist
Administrator

I was not aware of the wasm3 project. That's very interesting, thanks for sharing! I have some reading up to do now smile

Thanks for the kind words!

I will post updates on firmware progress for RNode on the blog, so keep an eye out for that.

I'm curious about your project btw. Can you share any details about what you are building?

#7 2020-06-15 22:03:40

litebulb

Yeah of course.  The goal is to build a lora network that reaches from where we live to where our families live in case of emergency and the grid is down.  Originally we were going to use HF SSB radios for this purpose but they're reliability beyond line of site is weather dependent which isn't so great.  The current hardware is the TTGO-TBEAM which has a GPS, ESP32, Lora and 18650 battery holder in one.  Using rnode firmware on this device would be amazing as it's a ready to go out of the box solution, there are even 3D printed enclosures for it.

I would like to buy some official rnode hardware but as you've realized yourself the Arduino environment is very limited.  I might just donate instead.  : )

Another project that you may be interested in is RIOT-OS.  I have it running on the cheap Bluepill boards and it's quite useful.  It supports quite a lot of hardware and because of it's design you can run the same programs anywhere.  It's not as versatile as wasm3, but the potential is there to run wasm3 on RIOT-OS in the future.

Last edited by litebulb (2020-06-15 22:05:21)

Board footer