#1 2015-10-30 10:19:14

DB1NTO

It's done! The smallest APRS Transceiver on the World?

Hi,

nearly one year ago i wrote the post number 2 on this forum about my very small APRS Transceiver.
link
Now it's nearly finished and perfect!

At first: the biggest thank goes to Mark. He make my APRS project possible... THANK YOU!

Now some details on my transceiver.
Yes it's a transceiver, not just a tracker. It means it can transmit AND receive APRS packets.
Its extremely small (2 x 3 x 5,7cm).
It's fully integrated, that means: It includes a GPS receiver, a ATmega 328p (Arduino), 2m ( VHF / 144MHz ) transceiver module, 850mAh mAh Lithium ion battery with charging electronic and a 128 x 64 px OLED screen.

My transceiver has a built in menue which can used with just two buttons on the front of the transceiver to set:
TX Power High / Low (0.5 / 1 Watt)
Timezone (to show correct time on OLED)
Set your callsign
Set your SSID
Set your APRS symbol (primary table, that's a lot of possible symbols! you can set via menue!)

Every Settting will stored in internal EEPROM. You can use this transceiver without any PC and reconfigure everything on the go!

I built in many software features as possible.
Some features are:
On battery power disable GPS and activate GPS automatic for a short time periodically just if needet for location updates. This is automatically disabled on external power via built in micro USB connector.
Show battery voltage, charging state and GPS state in first row of screen.

It can receive and show APRS Messages ("SMS"), APRS locations from other and show distance plus direction to him. Also mic-e format will be decoded.
It also shows APRS comments from other ham's.

You can turn it on or off via button / menue and it turns automatically off if battery power is too low.

The PCB is designed is professionaly made and the case is self designed and printed via my home 3D printer.

Look at my website www.db1nto.de

I worked really hard and a very long time on this project so i will not share the PCB or code at this moment.
I have spent not just many hours, also much money for prototype PCB's and some "burned" parts. So it was time and cost intensive for me!

And here is it:

See you

Taner

Last edited by DB1NTO (2016-06-21 06:43:46)

#2 2015-11-03 20:54:51

markqvist
Administrator

Re: It's done! The smallest APRS Transceiver on the World?

Wow, Taner! You have outdone yourself! When you posted your first transceiver back then, I remember I was very very impressed. This is several levels up! Excellent work!!! Cannot congratulate you enough! Well done! I'm looking forward to reading more details on your website!

#3 2015-11-03 20:55:26

markqvist
Administrator

And yes, I think this is the smallest APRS transceiver in the world!

#4 2015-11-03 22:24:20

DB1NTO

Hi Mark, Thank you! Without your help, this project was never possible. So i have to thank you a lot!
I have so much ideas how to improve my Transceiver. But i'm limited on ATmega328 FALSH and especially SRAM.

I plan to make a menu option to disable Receive capabilities to make the transceiver to "a tracker" which a lot more battery lifetime...
But the RAM... sad

Maybe my next version will be a ATmega 1284...

73, Taner

#5 2015-11-12 21:57:19

la3bna

Hi Tanner. Do you plan on Selling this as a kit or at least the PCB for the tracker?

#6 2015-11-12 22:00:43

DB1NTO

la3bna wrote:

Hi Tanner. Do you plan on Selling this as a kit or at least the PCB for the tracker?

Hi la3bna,

i don't planning annything at this moment about selling my Transceiver. But if i will do, so i think not just "Parts"...

73 de Taner
DB1NTO

#7 2015-11-19 18:27:33

Ardumotion

Hi Taner, please contact me to discuss funding if you decide to commercialize this

#8 2016-01-23 12:03:35

YO9IRF

Hello Taner,

I posted about your project on my blog and it gained alot of traction on Twitter and Reddit. I got alot of feedback from readers, most are very interested in buying it, so I would really suggest to find a way to make this available comercially. I know for a fact that this would be extremely interesting for the Summits On The Air activators as well, wich is a community of a few thousand active radio amateurs worldwide.

Links:
World's smallest APRS transceiver blog post
Twitter mentions
Reddit topic

If you need a business partner, I would love to be a part of this.

Cheers,
Razvan.

#9 2016-01-23 12:53:00

DB1NTO

Hi Razvan,

Yes, i also become a lot of positive feedback. That's why i'm developing a better version of my transceiver with more features in same size!
And i'm searching ways to make it commercial available. I'm thinking about a kickstarter project. But i have to clear something before like:

- Legal (Licence) - i think if i make this commercial, it must be open source because i'm using some open Source libs like LibAPRS from Mark.
- taxes in Germay. I can not build a device and sell it how i like. I'm sure, i need a trade license.
- Warranty
- purchasing of parts
- get some quote for complete unit production
- designing and maybe professional production of a housing (3D print is not the best option for building a lot of units).

A lot of things which i never done before.

How do you (or somone else?) think you can help me?

73, Taner
DB1NTO

#10 2016-02-10 06:46:49

la3bna

Tanner, I know I'm late on this but cant you make a PCB using dirtycheappcbs.com and the for every one that buys your pcb you will get some money?

AND, how are the progress now?

#11 2016-02-10 08:30:41

DB1NTO

Hi la3bna,

i will not share just my pcb layout because i'm working really hard on this project.

73, Taner
DB1NTO

#12 2016-04-22 08:38:50

la3bna

Do you have any ide when this will be offerd fore sale and price?

#13 2016-04-22 11:17:37

DB1NTO

Hi la3bna,

when? I whished immediately! The transceiver is ready...
But the legal challenges are very big for me.

Especially: WEEE (Elecronic waste) Laws.
We use a VHF transceiver module and a OLED module. For these modules there are no "ROHS certificates" from manufacturer availible.
But i need these to make a commercial product in Europe! How to solve this?
There is no 100% clear defined if i need a ROHS cerfiticate also if i sell this as a KIT.

This is just one of the existing challanges :-(

So my Transceiver works really great. I use it every day and really happy with it!

73, Taner
DB1NTO

#14 2016-04-25 11:56:05

la3bna

Hope you can solve this Tanner as I'm really interested in buying one.

Didn't get around to making one from the other post. I have all parts so I might just build one for the time beeing..

Board footer