#76 2015-03-17 09:12:53

LZ1PPL

Re: PicoAPRS, world's smallest APRS Transceiver with KISS TNC

You can't change A4 and A5 pins they are the hardware i2c. I haven't seen  arduino whiteout this pins. Can you please post pictures of top and bottom side of you arduino.
You can check this picture for reference. http://webdca.com/abd/images/pinout-ard … o-mini.png

#77 2015-03-17 09:50:08

DJ7OO
Website

Hello KF7MAX,
for pins A4-A7 on MiniPro's see my picture ( left and right beside the processor chip ): http://www.kh-gps.de/minipro_1.jpg

Klaus, DJ7OO

#78 2015-03-17 13:29:29

KF7MAX

OK now I see, looks like it's time to break out the solder iron. Thanks guys... Sometimes hard to see the tree because of the forest. I have 4 different flavors of these minis, and all do it just different enough to make it interesting.

#79 2015-03-18 01:56:32

KF7MAX

Klaus.....Yes my chip looks exactly like yours...

OK group..... Some parts seems to be working,, scope shows signals TX from the GPS Chip.
Outputs to the radio chip on the MiniPro show signals.
No joy on the display... I saw some reference a few days ago that maybe DIN and CLK need pull ups on them... don't recall the values.
Put I did put some 10ks there... did not help any.
Are those even required?  FYI OLED is set to IC2 on the shorting blocks on the back, so nothing wrong there.
Does CS or D/C need any special treatment?

#80 2015-03-18 11:41:10

DJ7OO
Website

Hi KF7MAX,
supposely you are using a different type of OLED. I did try 4 pin only version available for very low prices via Ebay. There was no problem at all when using LZ1PLL software.

http://www.kh-gps.de/minipro_2.jpg

Rem.: The specific type of OLED i am using, is showing its upper lines in yellow colour. As far as i know, this cannot be changed, so i still have to modifiy softtware a little bit for better readabillity.

73 de Klaus, DJ7OO

#81 2015-03-19 01:48:30

KF7MAX

Klaus... mine is the same OLED, but on a different breakout
just like this one... http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/2518598168 … =82&chn=ps
Yes I am using LZ1PLL software as well.....
There is some info in the docs that suggest setting RES to not float and to have D/C to VCC...
Still no joy in the display ... looks like more digging....may have to break down and get the same exact display as yours.
FYI... SSID etc is the same on mine as yours. Code is set correctly for that as well.

#82 2015-03-19 01:51:55

KF7MAX

I should qualify that the one on my link above is not the exact one but the image is an exact duplicate.... I have the 128x64

#83 2015-03-19 13:12:04

DJ7OO
Website

Maybe display you are using is equal to one of my OLED's from Adafruit: http://www.kh-gps.de/minipro_3.jpg
Also after being brought into I2C mode ( by using two of its jumpers ) this one did NOT run under LZ1PPL software.
Compared to this, using it in conjunction with other programs together with SSD1306 and GFX libraries from Adafruit was without problems.
So maybe also modifying the LZ1PPL program accordingly could bring the solution.

#84 2015-03-25 13:56:30

la3bna

LZ1PPL wrote:

Hi Taner,

Whit your code as a base and LibAPRS I have made battery powered APRS Tracker whit one Arduino Pro Mini. I have added additional information on the display for the battery voltage and Maidenhead locator.
I haven't tested the receive function yet but it transmits correct.
I know that my code is not perfect and i plan to optimize it, but for now its working fine.

You can see the code here: https://github.com/LZ1PPL/VSTv2/blob/master/VSTv2.ino

I still intend to do some thing about this project when i have a free time.
1. Optimize the code.
2. Add option to setup some variables true PC.
3. Make a PCB for the tracker.

73's to all

If you use Eagel I have been fiddeling a bit with a tracker PCB that has DRA818 and separate GPS (PA6H ) PCB.

#85 2015-03-26 08:38:32

la3bna

LZ1PPL wrote:

Here is the schematic im using. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz49Vw … sp=sharing

You can check the signals from you arduino. Pin 3 should be low when not transmitting and high when transmitting. This is the PTT pin. After the transistor you should have high when not transmitting and low when transmitting, the DORJI module ptt is active when its connected to ground.
Digital pins 4, 5 and 6 should be low when not sending data and digital pin 7 should be high. Wen sending data pins 4, 5 and 6 should go to high and pin 7 to low. Whit the trimer you can set up the voltage level that is going to the mic in of the dorji module.

P.S.: My English is not perfect but i hope you will understand what i wanted to say.

Plamen

If you are going to use the DRA818 the you could do this to AFSK.cpp

Line 461 -471

ISR(ADC_vect) {
    TIFR1 = _BV(ICF1);
    AFSK_adc_isr(AFSK_modem, ((int16_t)((ADC) >> 2) - 0x80));
    if (hw_afsk_dac_isr) {
        DAC_PORT = (AFSK_dac_isr(AFSK_modem) & 0xF0) & ~_BV(3); 
		} else {
      DAC_PORT = 0x88;

}

Last edited by la3bna (2015-03-26 08:39:16)

#86 2015-03-26 09:13:16

la3bna

Can someone pleas measure the ohms that they find work with DRA818 radio. I mean on the Potmeter. (I dont hav a 100K pot so Im not sure I got the correct value on my resistor)

#87 2015-03-27 09:06:50

LZ1PPL

la3bna wrote:

Can someone pleas measure the ohms that they find work with DRA818 radio. I mean on the Potmeter. (I dont hav a 100K pot so Im not sure I got the correct value on my resistor)

I have connected the pot as i have shown here https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz49Vw … sp=sharing . I'm using 10k pot and its set just in the middle. I have measured the ohms and they are 5k to ground and 5.1k to resistor ladder. This works just fine for me.

la3bna wrote:

If you are going to use the DRA818 the you could do this to AFSK.cpp

Line 461 -471

ISR(ADC_vect) {
    TIFR1 = _BV(ICF1);
    AFSK_adc_isr(AFSK_modem, ((int16_t)((ADC) >> 2) - 0x80));
    if (hw_afsk_dac_isr) {
        DAC_PORT = (AFSK_dac_isr(AFSK_modem) & 0xF0) & ~_BV(3); 
		} else {
      DAC_PORT = 0x88;

}

I will try this.

la3bna wrote:

If you use Eagel I have been fiddeling a bit with a tracker PCB that has DRA818 and separate GPS (PA6H ) PCB.

I'm using Eagle and i have designed one PCB for the tracker already, but I'm trying to add second serial port so i can program the setup parameters from the serial whiteout using the arduino IDE. The main problem is that the free ram is to little whit the sketch i have posted. so I'm trying to optimize it. I have even write my one GPS sentence parsing so i can remove the TinyGPS++ library. But i have some problems, everything works fine until i include and start the APRSLib. When the library is induced the tracker start to lose some packets and the whole thing just doesn't work as it should be.
I will try some different methods for parsing and if nothing work i just will leave that idea for the second serial port.

Last edited by LZ1PPL (2015-03-27 09:12:21)

#88 2015-03-28 14:33:23

KF7MAX

DJ7OO wrote:

Maybe display you are using is equal to one of my OLED's from Adafruit: http://www.kh-gps.de/minipro_3.jpg
Also after being brought into I2C mode ( by using two of its jumpers ) this one did NOT run under LZ1PPL software.
Compared to this, using it in conjunction with other programs together with SSD1306 and GFX libraries from Adafruit was without problems.
So maybe also modifying the LZ1PPL program accordingly could bring the solution.

Thanks DJ700.....I have another OLED coming next week, and will try that. I have looked at the LZ1PPL code, and being a newbie to C code, may be more difficult to actually make any required changes to support it. I did find info that on my particular OLED that the other pins to be held high/low through some resistors. Doing that did not accomplish anything. There is no hint of anything on the display even working. However everything else seems to be working fine.

#89 2015-03-30 19:18:50

YT1NIV

Hi all!

Just now registered to ask, as I have some troubles getting this fantastic thing to work!
I`ve using LZ1PPL software with one pro mini, gps is Quectel L80 with MTK chip. Very similar to original used in project, but is not sensitive at all! In the room, no way to get even one sattelite! Good thing is that I have external antenna, and it works excellent! So far, so good! I have managed to get position data on the oled, number of sattelites updates veeery slow, don`t know why... I plan to use mobile radio, not the Dorji module. Now, the big question:
I attached led on the PTT pin of the pro mini, and it goes on ptt. I then connected audio in from TNC test-CD to A0 pro mini. I should see some decoded packets, or some messages, right? It is non-squelched recording, and i put #define OPEN_SQUELCH true in the sketch... Is there something else that I miss?

Last edited by YT1NIV (2015-03-30 19:22:50)

#90 2015-03-30 23:08:40

KF7MAX

KF7MAX wrote:
DJ7OO wrote:

Thanks DJ700.....I have another OLED coming next week, and will try that. I have looked at the LZ1PPL code, and being a newbie to C code, may be more difficult to actually make any required changes to support it. I did find info that on my particular OLED that the other pins to be held high/low through some resistors. Doing that did not accomplish anything. There is no hint of anything on the display even working. However everything else seems to be working fine.

My OLED's came today.. some encouragement......When the power comes on the display flashes with little random pixels for about a 10th second.
Running your code exactly like you posted, I get the compile errors below....
FYI....I have a fresh copy of the U8GLIB installed as well.

I wasn't getting these errors before, because I actually had a u8g_font defined just above the U8GLIB line below.
But with that definition in place....code compiles but... nothing comes up on the display, so I reverted back to the original code you posted
Without the font defined...now I get these errors...

U8GLIB_SSD1306_128X64 u8g(U8G_I2C_OPT_NONE);

SVTrackR.cpp.o: In function `U8GLIB::setFont(unsigned char const*)':
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\U8glib/U8glib.h:165: undefined reference to `u8g_font_5x8'
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\U8glib/U8glib.h:165: undefined reference to `u8g_font_5x8'
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status

I am not going to post the whole font code...just the header,,, a few lines and the end.
Do I replace the 1693 with 1306, because if I do that....I get tons of more errors...so not sure if I am on the right track.
Are their other modified versions of U8GLIB floating around...Frankly I am not sure where I downloaded mine from.
..>Max

const u8g_fntpgm_uint8_t u8g_font_5x8[1693] U8G_FONT_SECTION("u8g_font_5x8") =
{
    1, 5, 8, 0, 255, 6, 1, 33, 2, 53, 32, 255, 255, 7, 255, 6,
        224, 128, 128, 1, 71, 87, 144, 0, 144, 144, 112, 144, 96
};

#91 2015-03-30 23:41:30

KF7MAX

I AM WORKING....!!!!!!!!!!  Dumb mistakes on my part...lets leave it at that........... Thanks all that helped me get this going....will be exiting to present at the next ham club meeting coming up Thurs....oh did I forget to mention,,, I was on a deadline... hi hi...
...Max

#92 2015-04-05 17:02:36

PD8D

Awesome project, I decided to create one on my own. I used the same GPS, Dorji module and screen. Screen + GPS work fine but the Dorji not so much. As soon as the devices tries to send something the screen flashes off 2 times and the unit has been reset, it resets again once it got another 3/4 satellite fixes. I first thought it was shielding so I wrapped my Arduino in coated foil but this didn't help. Anyone else encountered this issue? Any suggestions? I've wired it according to the diagram provided on page 3. I placed a screen write function at the top of the TX method to see if it actually sends but I never see this message so it must reset very soon after this function is called so I can't see it yet or even before this function.

#93 2015-04-08 06:51:50

PA3BAS

Is the powersupply up for the job?

#94 2015-04-09 15:27:12

DD5ZZ

Hi Taner and all the other clever guys here smile

Thanks for sharing this great project - i´m building my own at the moment. After having some trouble to get the OLED to work (have an SPI one here, not I2C) and getting the microAPRS firmware on the second pro mini this works now. But now there are two questions:

Does the Dorji module tolerate the 5V serial connection from the Arduino or do i need a levelshifter?

And, how did you do the Powersupply? I would like to use LiPo batteries. One cell would be perfect for the trx module (3,3-4,5V) but insufficient for the Arduinos which need 5V at least.  Two cells (8.4V fully charged) could be used for the Arduinos but not for the trx.

What would be the cleverest way to do? Two cells and using a voltage regulator for the trx?

Sorry but im a kind of electronics noob wink

73!

edit: How about this one here: http://www.exp-tech.de/pololu-5v-step-u … m_store=de

Should be good for powering the two Arduinos i think. So, using one Lipo 4,2V fully charged/ 3,3V when discharged direct for the trx and via this step up regulator looks like a good idea. Any thoughts?

Last edited by DD5ZZ (2015-04-09 15:42:35)

#95 2015-04-10 17:57:13

Stanley
Website

DD5ZZ wrote:

Hi Taner and all the other clever guys here smile

After having some trouble to get the OLED to work (have an SPI one here, not I2C) and getting the microAPRS firmware on the second pro mini this works now. But now there are two questions:

And, how did you do the Powersupply? I would like to use LiPo batteries. One cell would be perfect for the trx module (3,3-4,5V) but insufficient for the Arduinos which need 5V at least.  Two cells (8.4V fully charged) could be used for the Arduinos but not for the trx.

My SVTrackR was using SPI OLED instead ... you probably need to change the libs from i2c to SPI ... I'm using this lib ( https://github.com/stanleyseow/ArduinoT … D1306_text )

According to the docs, the DORJI does not tolerant 5V, it might work but not good for the radio.... so I suggest that you use Arduino Mini Pro 3.3V ( this will also solve your next questions of powering it up using a Li-On battery )

To get the full 1W power, you will need to power up the DORJI directly using Li-On 3.8-4.2V battery...

When using the mini pro 3.3V, there is a raw pin that can take in anything above 3.3V - 12V and it will regulate it to 3.3V ..

Hope this helps...

Last edited by Stanley (2015-04-10 17:57:30)

Stanley
9W2SVT/ N5SVT
http://9W2SVT.blogspot.com

#96 2015-04-10 18:44:09

Stanley
Website

LZ1PPL wrote:

Hi Taner,

Whit your code as a base and LibAPRS I have made battery powered APRS Tracker whit one Arduino Pro Mini. I have added additional information on the display for the battery voltage and Maidenhead locator.
I haven't tested the receive function yet but it transmits correct.
I know that my code is not perfect and i plan to optimize it, but for now its working fine.

You can see the code here: https://github.com/LZ1PPL/VSTv2/blob/master/VSTv2.ino

I still intend to do some thing about this project when i have a free time.
1. Optimize the code.
2. Add option to setup some variables true PC.
3. Make a PCB for the tracker.

73's to all

Dear LZ1PPL..

Greeting from Malaysia...

Was catching up with some of the message posting here ..

I've yet to port my SVTrackR codes to the LibAPRS and still using the 2 x mini pro setup...

I see that many people are using your setup and codes for the mini pro, DORJI radio, I2C OLED and GPS setup... 

This is great stuff and a step forward for APRS on open source / Arduino platform..

Stanley
9W2SVT/ N5SVT

#97 2015-04-10 22:04:42

KF7MAX

PD8D wrote:

Awesome project, I decided to create one on my own. I used the same GPS, Dorji module and screen. Screen + GPS work fine but the Dorji not so much. As soon as the devices tries to send something the screen flashes off 2 times and the unit has been reset, it resets again once it got another 3/4 satellite fixes. I first thought it was shielding so I wrapped my Arduino in coated foil but this didn't help. Anyone else encountered this issue? Any suggestions? I've wired it according to the diagram provided on page 3. I placed a screen write function at the top of the TX method to see if it actually sends but I never see this message so it must reset very soon after this function is called so I can't see it yet or even before this function.

I have or had the same issue,,, if running the Dorgi with a common supply like the 3.3vdc from the USB connector...it pulls the voltage down which causes the Arduino to reset.  It I put them on a 3.9vdc or 4.vdc lipo all seems to work fine. Also make sure you Arduino RST pin is pulled high via a 10k or so resistor. I have seen other types of issues if that pin is left floating as well.

#98 2015-04-13 12:17:55

PD8D

KF7MAX wrote:

I have or had the same issue,,, if running the Dorgi with a common supply like the 3.3vdc from the USB connector...it pulls the voltage down which causes the Arduino to reset.  It I put them on a 3.9vdc or 4.vdc lipo all seems to work fine. Also make sure you Arduino RST pin is pulled high via a 10k or so resistor. I have seen other types of issues if that pin is left floating as well.

Thanks, this did the trick! I just connected the Dorji to my raw power source (4.0v at this moment) and not using the Arduino supplied 3.3v and it doesn't reset any more and sends something out. Now this signal it sends out does sound a little too fast and with a bit of noise in it so I wasn't able to encode it just yet so I'm still looking for a solution for that but it's actually doing something now smile

#99 2015-04-14 20:25:34

YT1NIV

Hi again,

nobody have a clue from my questions in post #89?

BR,
Ivan

#100 2015-04-15 04:46:08

Stanley
Website

YT1NIV wrote:

Dorji module. Now, the big question:
I attached led on the PTT pin of the pro mini, and it goes on ptt. I then connected audio in from TNC test-CD to A0 pro mini. I should see some decoded packets, or some messages, right? It is non-squelched recording, and i put #define OPEN_SQUELCH true in the sketch... Is there something else that I miss?

Pls post yr circuit diagram of how u hv connected the module ...

Stanley
9W2SVT/ N5SVT

Board footer